We Are Humanists!Humanist worldview. Humanist values. Humanist community.
|Humanists in San Diego|
Our PhilosophyHumanism is a rational philosophy informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by compassion. Affirming the dignity of each human being, it supports the maximization of individual liberty and opportunity consonant with social and planetary responsibility. It advocates the extension of participatory democracy and the expansion of the open society, standing for human rights and social justice. Free of supernaturalism, it recognizes human beings as part of nature and holds that values - be they religious, ethical, social, or political - have their source in human nature, experience and culture.
Humanism thus derives the goals of life from human need and interest rather than from theological or ideological abstractions, and asserts that humanity must take responsibility for its own destiny.
Our CommunityThe HFSD is a proud chapter of the American Humanist Association, a founding member of the San Diego Coalition of Reason, and an associate of the International Humanist and Ethical Union. We reach out to the growing number of people who recognize that each individual has to be responsible for his or her life through rational thinking without claims to divine knowledge; this includes secularists, atheists, agnostics, Unitarian Universalists, Christian and Jewish Humanists, rationalists, freethinkers …
We count humanists and other nontheists as the core of our community but are always willing to work with friends and allies on issues of common concern.
Participate! All of our events are posted at Meetup. Please join our Meetup group so that you will automatically receive timely announcements of events, and are able to easily RSVP. RSVPs are not necessary, but are helpful for planning. Most events are free and open to the public.
Are you a humanist?
- Do you prefer to think things through for yourself rather than simply following the crowd?
- Do you consider human experience, logical reasoning, and scientific inquiry to be better methods for discovering truth than revelation, ancient myths and religious texts.
- Are you dedicated to securing human rights and civil liberties for all?
- Are your ethical values informed by reason, compassion, and tested by their consequences?
- Are you good without god(s) and threats of eternal damnation?
- Do you believe in enjoying life here and now since it is the only life you'll have?